December 15, 2014
- What kind of caliper is in the video?
- Please review the following video. Start at about the 8 minute mark and watch to the end. This is meant to enhance your understanding of the anatomy of a wheel cylinder.
After you have looked over the PDF, answer the following questions. Questions here.
- Why should you inspect brake shoes during removal?
- What would a driver experience if a drum were out of balance? When?
- Why is it important to maintain drum to shoe clearance?
- Why is it important to use the parking brake on some drum brake systems, and on others, to occasionally drive in reverse? Explain.
- Define eccentric. How does the word apply to many automotive applications?
- What are the tools to be used to adjust shoe to drum clearance?
- How do we inspect wheel cylinders?
- Complete the Drum Brakes section of CDX before we meet December 18th. Pay particular attention to the interactive animation. IT'S GOOD STUFF!