September 26, 2014
- As you review the following powerpoint, answer these questions to help guide your learning.
- Please complete and submit for a homework grade.
1. Explain a benefit and disadvantage of a drum braking system.
2. On what kind of vehicle will you find a regenerative braking system? Why?
3. Explain which of the following you think have the greatest effect on stopping ability.
- Vehicle height
- Tire condition
- Road surface
- Road conditions
- Load on the wheels
5. How is the way a drum brake operates, different from a disc brake?
6. What is kinetic energy? How does it apply to vehicle repair?
7. What happens to the fuel you put into your car? Where is its final destination? (BE CAREFUL)
8. Which is greater, stopping power or power required to accelerate? Why?
9. How much more friction do we create by finishing a rotor non-directionally?
10. What is the most common cause of brake fade? Why?
11. Explain, or draw how a lever provides an advantage.
12. What are the different kinds of parking brakes found on various passenger vehicles?
13. What is the final step in machining rotors? Explain why.