February 09, 2015
This is an interesting video about how tires are manufactured. Please watch it to gain a better understanding of a tire's anatomy and the manufacturing process.
Before proceeding, what are the benefits of using radial-ply tires?
Printable PDF of the power point.
Printable PDF of the following questions.
1. Why is it important to have properly maintained wheels and tires?
2. What is center of gravity? Does a lifted truck have a different center of gravity than a truck with stock ride height? Explain.
3. What is a Schrader valve?
4. What does "DOT 4515" mean on the side of a tire?
5. Why are radial tires primarily used on passenger vehicles?
6. Label and define the following: 225/45R18 94V
7. Why do tires need tread?
8. When mounting a tire, why do we need to know what kind of tread it has?
9. Draw or illustrate the 3 different kinds of wheel offset.
10. What method is used to compare tires' tread wear, traction, and temperature?
11. What are the ways we can balance a wheel? How do they differ?
12. What will the driver experience when a wheel is out of balance?
13. How do TPMS operate / monitor tire pressures?
14. Why do TPMS lights commonly come on when the seasons change from autumn to winter?
15. How would worn steering or suspension parts effect the wear of a tire?